Flora of San Jacinto Mountain
This page gives links to floras of the entire San Jacinto Mountain area. For floras of smaller areas, see Plants of Southern California: Regional Floras: San Jacinto Mountain.
The only flora of San Jacinto Mountain is for the pine belt and higher elevations (above roughly 5000 - 7000 feet elevation) by Harvey Monroe Hall in 1902. I am in the process of updating that flora to species names used in the Jepson Manual, and adding voucher observations made since 1902.
Because I was interested in the Carex distribution, I updated that first and was very surprised at how much work it was to update the flora for that genus. It was not just a straightforward job of updating species names, since it was in general impossible to divine the current species names attached to a given name in Hall. See Name Changes For Carex Species of San Jacinto Mountain Over Time to see the changes in detail.
Until a complete updated flora for the entire San Jacinto Mountain is available, consult these pages:
- A Botanical Survey of San Jacinto Mountain By Harvey Monroe Hall (Hall's original pine belt survey of 1902, pdf version digitized by Google on 12 March 2007). Most of the time one can get updated names by searching the Consortium of California Herbaria putting "Hall" in the field for "Collector (last name only)" and the Hall collection number from his flora in the field "Collection Number (numerical part only)".
- Flora of San Jacinto Mountain: Selected Portions of the Hall 1902 Flora (53 taxa updated to Jepson Manual names as of 3 July 2009, with additional comments by Tom Chester)
- Voucher Coverage for the San Jacinto Mountain area
- Plant Checklist for San Jacinto Mountain (609 taxa; 2007)
- Carex Species of San Jacinto Mountain
- Galium angustifolium ssp. jacinticum
Copyright © 2004-2009 by Tom Chester.
Permission is freely granted to reproduce any or all of this page as long as credit is given to me at this source:
Comments and feedback: Tom Chester
Updated 3 July 2009.