I am a long time recreation user of the Los Padres National Forest. I have had many chances to experience the new fee pilot program instituted in our forest. What I have had a chance to observe is:
- litter is now worse than it ever was before the fee program.
- some bathrooms are locked for personal use by the new camp hosts.
- visiters using the area are fewer since the program has been in effect. Therefore, after costs incurred by the private vendor, 20% of nothing is nothing.
- The campgrounds and surrounding areas are not kept nearly up to past standards for weed abatement.
- picnic tables and bbq pits are disappearing faster then they can be replaced.
The promises that were made to us by the Forest Service have not been kept and I feel generally ripped off. I've volunteered on trail maintenance for many years and I no longer plan on doing that. Many others feel as I do. We are thoroughly disgusted so far. I hope you stay on top of this and report further developments.
Go to Fees for the Angeles National Forest
Copyright © 1997 by Marsha Sorensen & Tom Chester.
Permission is freely granted to reproduce any or all of this page as long as credit is given to us at this source:
Comments and feedback: Marsha Sorensen & Tom Chester
Updated 1 December 1997.