In 1907, the "Saturday Afternoon Club" was established by 15 women to provide a resting spot for farmers and family, especially wives, on their weekend trips to town. The club changed its name to "Fallbrook Woman's Club" in 1946, with their mission now being community improvement through volunteer service.
For the first meeting in November 1907, they rented space in the Masonic Hall. In 1913, they bought a building for their clubhouse, which later had to be moved for the construction of the Santa Fe Railroad Spur.
In 1917, the club sponsored the first Girl Scout Troop west of the Mississippi, White Rose Troop No. 1. In 1919, the club founded the first public library in Fallbrook, which was housed in the clubhouse.
During World War II, members organized the local USO, volunteered for the Red Cross, taught first-aid classes and helped take care of injured servicemen.
In 1951, they bought 12 lots two blocks west of North Main Street on West Mission Street. Seven lots were sold, and five lots were used for the club, which included two houses built in 1876. The larger house became the new clubhouse, a garage was converted to a caretaker's cottage, and the smaller house was rented. The Heald family donated a ~1872 surrey, still displayed there. The 1913 building was then no longer used by the Club.
Six scholarships are given to local high school seniors each year.
There are currently 92 members, with annual dues of $25 after an initiation fee of $5. The ESO Reading Sorority meets at 10:30 a.m. the first Wednesday of each month, followed by a Literature Group at 1 p.m. Call Ele at (760) 723-5338 for more information.
Source: Jean Burhop and Joan Krupczak, given in NCT 8/8/00, B2, and Jean Burhop phone conversation on 8/9/00.
Go To Fallbrook Tidbits
Copyright © 2000 by Tom Chester.
Permission is freely granted to reproduce any or all of this page as long as credit is given to me at this source:
Comments and feedback: Tom Chester
Last update: 9 August 2000.