Mr. Palmer was advertising his hardware store before the 1890's, as the page from the March 9, 1889 Fallbrook Review shows. However, times were hard, and in 1895, Fallbrook businessmen, including G.F. Westfall and D.O. Lamb, formed the Fallbrook Cooperative Association to buy the ailing business. The Fallbrook Cooperative Association, in turn, was bought out by the Fallbrook Hardware in 1902.
The manager of Fallbrook Hardware, G.F. Westfall, eventually purchased the store, and in 1913 he turned the business over to his son, Victor. Victor Westfall owned and operated Fallbrook Hardware through the 1940's. Always interested in history, Victor maintained a kind of mini-museum in the store, filling his windows with memorabilia of Fallbrook and family.
In the 1950's, the store was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Ray Schekel, who continued the hardware business in Fallbrook for another thirty years.
After serving as Fallbrook's temporary library, the structure burned in 1987.
The building was a popular subject for local artists. This one is by Don Fell for the Fallbrook National Bank's 1988 calendar of historical buildings.
One of a series of notecards designed by John Baker shows the Fallbrook Hardware store as it appeared in 1979. Note the difference in the structures at the rear. Baker's rendition was done in 1977, before the building we now know as Heritage Hall was moved to its present location at 122 West Beech Street. It was originally located at Main and Hawthorne.
Copyright © 1998 by Fallbrook Historical Society
Permission is freely granted to reproduce any or all of this page as long as credit is given to the Fallbrook Historical Society at this source:
Comments and feedback: Elizabeth Yamaguchi
Last update: 25 December 1998.