How To Identify Plants At The Santa Rosa Plateau: Plant Evolution
- Imagine beginning with a single plant species at one moment in time. At first, there is just a range of variation in a single species.
- In time, that single plant species begins to differentiate, usually at the edges of its spatial distribution.
- Eventually, they become two almost-separate species that are hard to differentiate.
- Finally, they become two clearly-separate species.
- At any given moment in time, some plant species are in each of these stages!
Comments and feedback: Tom Chester
Last update: 16 October 2003.