How To Identify Plants At The SRP: How Species Are Defined
- In botany there are few absolutes.
- The definition of shrub height is only loosely stated relative to that of a tree; no number is given.
- Note the mostly and often and usually in the key. I call these weasel words! You will find many specimens that violate them.
- All too often, the only way to understand a key, and be sure you have it right, is to see all the species in the key.
- We'll do this today for a key to 24 shrubs and trees on the Granite Loop Trail.
- Note that keying can be fun! You start with a mystery plant, and your job is to use a key to figure out its name.
Comments and feedback: Tom Chester
Last update: 16 October 2003.