Brodiaea santarosae: a Species Restricted to the Santa Rosa Basalt
- Basalt is an unusual soil type - it has high levels of magnesium and low levels of calcium and other essential nutrients. Many species are restricted to unusual soil types, which often exclude most species.
- From Kruckeberg 2006, Introduction to California Soils and Plants:
most new species will be in places .. with kooky soils..in such remote places ...as... out of the way places in southern California.
- Pictures of Santa Rosa Basalt Brodiaea
- Locations of Three Brodiaea Species
- Ranunculus occidentalis, western buttercup, is also confined to the basalt at the Santa Rosa Plateau.
Comments and feedback: Tom Chester
Last update: 6 November 2005.