Geology of The SRP
250 Million Years Ago: Forming Pangea
- 100 Million Years Ago: Oregon Volcanoes In California
The base of those volcanoes is still around as the Woodson Mountain Granodiorite, the white boulders on the Boulder Loop Trail.
The metamorphosed sea floor sediments is still around as the Bedford Canyon Formation, the reddish ~layered rocks on the Punta Mesa Trail and elsewhere.
- 50 Million Years Ago: Angle of Subducting Plate Changes
- Volcanoes move from California to Rocky Mountains
- California becomes FLAT
- 30-0 Million Years Ago: overriding a spreading zone creates the Santa Rosa Basalt.
- Elevation profiles of Santa Ana Mountains:
Just north of Santa Rosa Plateau
Through Santa Rosa Plateau
- 3-dimensional oblique view of Santa Rosa Plateau area from Ted St. John.
Comments and feedback: Tom Chester
Last update: 6 November 2005.