Lower Eaton Canyon, San Gabriel Mts Flora: A Checklist of the Vascular Plants by Bob Muns
This page lists the changes (updates and deletions) made or collected by Rick Fisher, Mickey Long, Jane Strong and Jane Strong / Tom Chester to The Lower Eaton Canyon Flora by Bob Muns (1984, 1989 and 1994). It also lists the vouchered observations contained in the Calflora database.
Updates Collected By Rick Fisher et al
These updates come from a printed undated flora authored by Rick Fisher and Mickey Long from ~2000(?). The updates are after the 1993 fire and after the planting in Eaton Canyon (the La Viña mitigation), and come from a variety of unnamed people, as well as from Rick and Mickey. Many of the species added were the result of a one-day botanical field day with Oscar Clarke, hosted by the San Gabriel Mountains chapter of the CNPS. Some of the 1994 updates that have been incorporated into Bob's list may also have come from this field day. Unfortunately, there are no records available to us to discriminate the source of those 1994 updates. Hence the list below only gives the updates collected by Rick that were not already present in Bob's 1994 update.
New Taxon Previous Taxon On Muns List Equisetum hyemale ssp. affine Equisetum hyemale Commelina sp. (benghalensis?) Commelina sp. Dudleya cymosa Dudleya sp. Dudleya lanceolata Dudleya sp. Chamaesyce albomarginata Chamaesyce sp. Lotus argophyllus Lotus sp. Trifolium hirtum Trifolium sp. Ribes aureum var gracillimum Ribes aureum *Eucalyptus camaldulensis Eucalyptus sp. Clematis lasiantha Clematis sp. Boykinia rotundifolia Boykinia sp. Penstemon grinnellii ssp grinnellii Penstemon grinnellii Achnatherum coronatum Achnatherum sp. Vulpia myuros Vulpia sp.
We have updated Eucalyptus rostrata in Rick's list to its JM name of Eucalyptus camaldulensis.
- Filago gallica
- Mimulus brevipes
Rick also has published a list of 25 species of Cultivated Plants of Eaton Canyon Nature Center.
Additions From Mickey Long's File Of
Interesting Plant Finds in Eaton Canyon
- Argemone munita, prickly poppy, 6/94, C. Null
- Conium maculatum, poison hemlock, 6/96, M. Long, W. Teilman
- Datura stramonium, jimson weed, 12/97, N. Mayer
- Loeflingia squarrosa, 11/14/94, C. Jones
- Malacothrix glabrata, desert dandelion, 4/6/01, C. Null
- Paeonia californica, California peony, 2/2/98, C. Null, D. Speakman
- Phacelia grandiflora, 6/94, C. Null
- Rorippa curvisiliqua, 3/17/98, M. Long
- Verbena lasiostachys var scabrida, 6/29/99, M. Long
Additions From Jane Strong Found In The Canyon Area
- Stylocline gnaphaloides
- Polycarpon tetraphyllum
- Lepidium virginicum var. pubescens [identified an additional subspecies]
- Quercus durata ssp gabrielensis, 11/00 [in park]
- Q. durata ssp gabrielensis hybrids 11/00 [in park]
- Gnaphalium luteo-album, 12/13/00 [in park]
- Keckiella ternata var ternata, 6/28/01 [in park]
- Pentagramma triangularis ssp triangularis, gold back fern, 3/02 [in park]
- Aeonium hybrid, 3/02 [in park]
- Crassula tillaea, pygmy weed, 3/02 [in park]
- Lepidium oblongum, oblong peppergrass, 3/02 [Midwick Trail]
- Ehrharta erecta, 3/13/02 [by outfall]
- Lotus argophyllus ssp argophyllus, 3/13/02 [identified subspecies in park]
- Gallium porrigens ssp porrigens, 3/25/02
- Castilleja foliolosa, 4/2/02 [in park]
- Cyperus eragrostis [1/12/03, identified species for Cyperus sp. on the list]
- Lepidium virginicum var. virginicum [1/27/03, identified yet another additional subspecies]
- Eucalyptus globulus [3/11/03, Walnut Canyon, on "Horse Trail"]
- Pinus jeffreyi [3/11/03, junction "Horse Trail" and Toll Road]
- Pinus sp. [3/11/03, a single tree at the junction of the "Horse Trail" and the Toll Road [not the two large pines next to the park service road]. This tree has 2 needles per bunch, each 1 1/2 inches [4 cm] long, yellow-green; with a symmetric, persistent, solitary, oval seed cone, 2 1/4 inches [6 cm]. It does not match P. halepensis, since the needles are too short and the cone is not asymmetrical.]
- Claytonia parviflora ssp. parviflora [3/11/03, grows out from under large granitic boulders in various shady places]
- Thysanocarpus laciniatus [3/11/03, determined species]
- Calystegia macrostegia ssp. intermedia [3/11/03, determined species]
- Polygonum arenastrum [3/11/03, determined species]
- Claytonia perfoliata ssp. mexicana [3/11/03, determined species]
- Vulpia myuros var. myuros [3/11/03, determined species]
- Rafinesquia californica [3/13/03]
- Amsinckia menziesii var. menziesii [3/13/03]
- Medicago polymorpha [3/13/03]
- Spergularia bocconei [3/13/03]
- Veronica persica [3/13/03]
- Trichostema lanatum [3/18/03]
- Nerium oleander [3/18/03]
- Chrysanthemum coronarium [3/18/03]
- Populus fremontii ssp. fremontii [3/18/03]
- Encelia actoni [4/8/03]
- Erigeron karvinskianus [4/8/03]
- Lasthenia sp. [4/8/03]
- Callistemon sp. [4/8/03]
- Veronica arvensis [4/8/03]
- Chasmanthe floribunda [4/8/03, determined species of "unk like Watsonia" on West Bank Trail]
Additions From Rick Fisher, Mickey Long et al, October 2002
These updates also come from a variety of people.
- Chaenactis artemisiifolia
- Isocoma menziesii
- Amsinckia menziesii var. intermedia
- Quercus durata var. gabrielensis X Q. engelmannii
- Malva parviflora
- Mirabilis californica
- Plantago erecta
- Galium andrewsii
- Pinus canariensis
- Pinus sp.
- Juncus balticus
- Juncus macrophyllus
- Epilobium canum ssp. canum
- Eriogonum elegans
Additions From Jane Strong and Tom Chester Found In The Canyon Area
- Cuscuta californica var. californica, 10/24/02, on the West Bank Trail, replacing the Cuscuta sp. (subinclusa?) from Rick's update.
- Encelia californica, 10/24/02, on the West Bank Trail, probably spreading from the mitigation plantings or still present from the seeding after the 1993 fire.
- Crassula ovata, 10/24/02, on the West Bank Trail, a single specimen.
- Opuntia Xvaseyi, 12/03/02, on the West Bank Trail, many specimens along the trail, one of which was blooming this day.
- Washingtonia robusta, 12/03/02, on the West Bank Trail, a single specimen at the outflow drain south of the Toll Road Bridge.
- Phacelia ramosissima var. latifolia, 12/03/02, on the West Bank Trail, identified the ssp.
- Rhamnus californica ssp. californica, 12/03/02, on the West Bank Trail, identified the ssp.
- Coreopsis bigelovii, 3/25/03, on the Mt. Wilson Toll Road / Horse Trail Loop
- Chamaesyce polycarpa, 3/25/03, on the Mt. Wilson Toll Road / Horse Trail Loop
- Camissonia confusa, 3/25/03, on the Mt. Wilson Toll Road / Horse Trail Loop
- Claytonia perfoliata ssp. perfoliata, 3/25/03, on the Mt. Wilson Toll Road / Horse Trail Loop
- Heterotheca sessiliflora ssp. echioides, 3/25/03, added new subspecies, on the Mt. Wilson Toll Road / Horse Trail Loop
- Vulpia myuros var. hirsuta, 3/25/03, determined variety, on the Mt. Wilson Toll Road / Horse Trail Loop
- Eriophyllum confertiflorum var. confertiflorum, 3/25/03, determined variety, on the Mt. Wilson Toll Road / Horse Trail Loop
- Lotus scoparius var. brevialatus, 3/25/03, determined variety, on the Mt. Wilson Toll Road / Horse Trail Loop
- Eucrypta chrysanthemifolia var. chrysanthemifolia, 3/25/03, determined variety, on the Mt. Wilson Toll Road / Horse Trail Loop
- Dichelostemma capitatum ssp. capitatum, 3/25/03, determined subspecies, on the Mt. Wilson Toll Road / Horse Trail Loop
- Hordeum murinum ssp. leporinum, 3/25/03, determined subspecies, on the Mt. Wilson Toll Road / Horse Trail Loop
Eaton Canyon Vouchered Observations from the Calflora Database
We searched the Calflora Occurrence Database for all vouchers with the word Eaton in the location field. We selected only the records from that search that were clearly in lower Eaton Canyon below 1600 feet. All records without elevation are given below, since all of these taxa were present in one of the above sources.
Latin Name Elevation (feet) Date Location Andropogon glomeratus var. pumilus September 3, 1917 Eaton Canyon San Gabriel Mts. San Gabriel Mts., Eaton Canyon Aster greatae September 1, 1916 Eaton's Canyon, near Pasadena San Gabriel Mts., Eaton's Canyon Boykinia rotundifolia 1400 June 22, 1941 Eaton Cr, San Gabriel Mts Brickellia nevinii 750 September 3, 1917 Eaton Canyon, San Gabriel Mountains San Gabriel Mountains, Eaton Canyon Clarkia epilobioides 1400 May 17, 1912 Eaton's Canyon Mt. Wilson Delphinium cardinale 875 June 11, 1947 Eaton Wash Pasadena Descurainia pinnata February 12, 1928 Eaton Wash Gnaphalium californicum 875 June 11, 1947 Pasadena e of Eaton Wash Hemizonia kelloggii 700 June 27, 1933 Foothill Blvd at Eaton Wash Pasadena, Eaton Wash Horkelia cuneata ssp. puberula 1200 April 5, 1919 the mountains 1/4 mi below; Borders of Eaton Canyon San Gabriel Mts., Eaton Canyon Lathyrus vestitus var. vestitus 1400 May 17, 1912 Eaton Canyon Mt. Wilson Lepidospartum squamatum May 1, 1903 Eaton Canyon Lessingia filaginifolia var. filaginifolia September 4, 1916 Eaton Canyon San Gabriel Mts. Lilium humboldtii var. ocellatum 1500 June 22, 1941 by Eaton Canyon, San Gabriel Mts Paeonia californica January 5, 1903 Eaton Canyon Eaton Canyon Eaton Canyon Pellaea mucronata var. mucronata January 1, 1903 Eaton Canyon Eaton Canyon Phacelia minor 1400 May 17, 1912 Eaton's Canyon Mt. Wilson Pteris vittata 1200 February 17, 1963 Eaton Canyon ca. 2 mi from mouth; between 2nd. and 1st. falls San Gabriel Mts, Eaton Canyon Ribes californicum var. hesperium January 1, 1903 Eaton Canyon Eaton Canyon Salvia apiana 1400 May 17, 1912 Eaton's Canyon Eaton's Canyon Mt. Wilson Tauschia arguta 1400 May 17, 1912 Mt. Wilson Eaton's Canyon; Mt. Wilson Mt. Wilson, Eaton's Canyon