A "comprehensive approach" to Riding and Hiking Trails is now part of the Trails Strategic Plan for San Diego County's General Plan 2020 planning process. The Plan will derive from a "bottoms-up", community-based approach. This page attempts to list the organizations that will be involved in this planning. Many of the organizations belong to the San Diego County Trails Council, which is "the lead trails advisory organization for other trail groups by providing education, expertise and support for the acquisition, preservation and maintenance of riding, hiking and mountain biking trails".
Most of the Land Conservancies belong to the San Diego Land Conservancy Coalition.
- BackCountry Horsemen of California: San Diego Unit
- Back Country Land Trust (Protecting Land near Alpine from Santee to SR79 near I-8)
- Carlsbad Trail Project
- Encinitas Trails Coalition
- Escondido Creek Conservancy
- Fallbrook Land Conservancy's Trails Committee
- Lakeside Trails (East County Trails Preservation Group)
- Poway Recreational Trail Committee
- Ramona: Ramona Trails Association
- San Dieguito River Park (Volcan Mountain, north of Julian, to the Pacific Ocean in Del Mar)
- San Marcos Trail Advisory Committee (San Marcos Trails mainpage)
- Tijuana River: Tijuana River Valley Equestrian Association (TRVEA).
- Volcan Mountain Preserve Foundation (a 15 mile ridge above Julian stretching from Lake Henshaw to the Anza Borrego Desert)
Copyright © 2000-2006 by Tom Chester.
Permission is freely granted to reproduce any or all of this page as long as credit is given to me at this source:
Comments and feedback: Tom Chester
Updated 13 December 2006.